Saturday, March 26, 2016

What Jesus taught part 4

4
The fourth thing that I learned from 3 Nephi chapter 11 that Jesus taught was the importance of unity.

 27 ... for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.


 36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

Some people believe and understand that this means that God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are one person.  This is not what this says.  They are one in purpose.  They are united.  What can we learn from this?  If you are married, how important is it to be one?  What blessings come from being united?  This may be easier said than done.  Do any of you know someone that is stubborn?   For me, I don't have to look very far.  When I look in the mirror their sometimes stands a very stubborn person.  For some reason if it is not my way, it is wrong, and sometimes this can lead into the next teaching I learn from Jesus and that is to avoid contention.  I find myself struggling with this all too often, especially when it comes to disciplining my children.  When we me and my wife are one and on the same page, it is a beautiful thing.  But, when we are not, it doesn't always go so well.  Can you imagine the chaos if the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost were not united and on the same page?  What about being united as a family?  There is power in being united and close as a family.  Satan knows there is power in this and is doing everything he can to destroy this unit.  May I suggest a challenge for your families.  Read and study as a family "The Family. A Proclamation to the World."  In this document you will find power, truth, and teachings that when followed will protect and keep the family united.  

What about being united and one as His church?  In 4th Nephi, this is where we read an account of the people in America after the visit of Jesus Christ.  There was peace and happiness.  There existed a people that was united.  

 3 And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.

  10 And now, behold, it came to pass that the people of Nephi did wax strong, and did multiply exceedingly fast, and became an exceedingly fair and delightsome people.

This was not to last though.  As the people were blessed and prospered, there began to be divisions that were created.  People began to become prideful and the unity that was once there was no more.

24 And now, in this two hundred and first year there began to be among them those who were lifted up in pride, such as the wearing of costly apparel, and all manner of fine pearls, and of the fine things of the world.

 25 And from that time forth they did have their goods and their substance no more common among them.

 26 And they began to be divided into classes; and they began to build up churches unto themselves to get gain, and began to deny the true church of Christ.

 27 And it came to pass that when two hundred and ten years had passed away there were many churches in the land; yea, there were many churches which professed to know the Christ, and yet they did deny the more parts of his gospel, insomuch that they did receive all manner of wickedness, and did administer that which was sacred unto him to whom it had been forbidden because of unworthiness.

As a church, we need to be careful.  For the Lord will bless us as we keep His commandments.  Let us not get caught up in our prosperous times and become prideful.  Let us always remember God's greatest commandment.  In Matthew 22: 36-40 we read:

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

 38 This is the first and great commandment.

 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.


No comments: