Monday, March 21, 2016

What Jesus taught part 3

3
The third thing that I learned from 3 Nephi chapter 11 that Jesus taught was "how we are to baptize."

 22 ... And he said unto them: On this wise shall ye baptize; and there shall be no disputations among you.

 23 Verily I say unto you, that whoso repenteth of his sins through your words, and desireth to be baptized in my name, on this wise shall ye baptize them—Behold, ye shall go down and stand in the water, and in my name shall ye baptize them.

 24 And now behold, these are the words which ye shall say, calling them by name, saying:

 25 Having authority given me of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

 26 And then shall ye immerse them in the water, and come forth again out of the water.

 27 And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name;

I'll get to this in a later point, but notice as Jesus teaches about baptism he says, "and there shall be no disputations among you."  He must have understood the contention that Satan would stir up around such an important ordinance and step we take to make it back to our Father in Heaven.  I learned at a very young age the importance of baptism.  I was making a covenant with my Father in Heaven when getting baptized.  I was saying, "I'll keep your commandments, follow you, and always remember you Jesus."  In return, He was promising that I would always have His spirit to be with me, which would help me on my journey while down here on earth.  

I remember teaching an investigator of the LDS church over in Portugal the principle of eternal families and how in the LDS temples we practice a ordinance that seals our families forever.  The gentlemen was very interested in this, for he knew of no other religion that practiced such a belief.  He wanted to do this without going through baptism though.  He felt he'd already been baptized, so why would he have to do it again.  As we learned in my previous post, authority to baptize is important, and now in this post, there is a certain way baptism needs to occur, which includes having the appropriate authority; "Having authority given me of Jesus Christ...." 

Baptism is a foundational step in the process.  Jesus knew this and taught this, and led by example by being baptized himself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

All subsequent discontent, there is a disgruntled all behind you think should be, do you think there should be a "must" is the source of pain. No one will act in full accordance with your standards.
________________________
It's a interesting game: Where to buy csgo skins
You can join in this hotsite: http://www.csgo4skin.com/

flybybry said...

This comment leads into a discussion around "Agency." I share my beliefs with the understanding that all have agency to choose, and this is fundamental for all of us. This is something taught by Jesus, and whether you believe or not is your own right and choice, and it is not my right to judge. I do believe all will have an opportunity to choose to act according to what Jesus taught.