Thursday, July 10, 2008

Are you who you think you are?

I was sitting in the office with my boss this past week.

He was talking about an exciting position that involved a very technical person, one who is an excellent coder, one who could work with the outside community, a leader, etc...

He said, "You know who I'm talking about, right?" In my mind, I was of course thinking, he is talking about me. Later in the conversation it was clear that it was not me, but one of my lead principle software engineers.

I realized that I was still living in history for a moment. I now lead and manage a large number of software engineers. My role is to allow smart people to be smart. Allowing people to do what they do best, and not stepping up trying to be that person, or solving that problem has been a transition from me.

I'm not saying that I don't have to be smart anymore, or step up to the plate. I'm just saying that I play a certain leadership role, and part of that role is to realize the talent that works with me and allowing them to expand their wings and fly.

How many times in life do we have a different perception of ourselves than others? I believe it is wise to solicit feedback from others around us, and accept the feedback graciously.

I believe our Maker, our God, knows us better than anyone. How often do we solicit feedback from him? What have you prayed about lately?

No comments: