Thursday, July 16, 2009

Constant nourishment to the soul

Just like the body needs constant nourishment, so does the soul. Daily prayer, scripture study, and attendance to church meetings and the temple are all important to keep the soul fit. It always seems like it is easier said than done. Just like my body can feel better or worse depending on if I'm exercising, eating right, and getting enough sleep, my soul feels better or worse depending on my sincerity in daily prayer, my honest scripture study, and my attendance to my church meetings and the temple. Satan is aware of this, and if he can get you to ignore the everyday things needed for the soul, he can slowly pull you out of shape and take away the happiness that all of us deserve. In Alma 32:38, 41 it reads:

38 But if ye aneglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out.
41 But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with apatience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree bspringing up unto everlasting life.

It is easy to get out of the routine of nourishing your soul during summer break with all the vacations and play. Wholesome recreational activities are so important for the family, but you can still do it without neglecting the tree. I know this to be true, because I've seen it in my own life.

No comments: