Tuesday, December 7, 2010

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree

My boss shared a Christmas tree story with me yesterday that went like this, I'm paraphrasing...

"We have 7 children and every year we go get a Christmas tree. Not always the best experience. This year my eight year old, was sad and teary eyed. I asked her what was wrong, and she said that every year I always let the older kids pick the Christmas tree, and that she never got to choose the Christmas tree. I told her that this year she could pick the Christmas tree. At the Christmas tree lot, we started our Christmas tree shopping. One of the kids would say this is the one! I'd look at my eight year old, and she shook her head, no. I then would say, no that is not the one. The kids then when go on to the next tree, this is the one! I again then would look at my sweet eight year old, and she would shake her head, no. This pattern kept happening for the who knows, maybe 20 or so trees. The other kids were finally catching on. We finally came to a tree that was very tall. I thought definitely no. I looked at my eight year old, and she smiled and shook her head yes. So I gave in and we bought this very tall tree. I have two big double wide doors, and we could barely fit it in the house. I have a very tall ceiling where we were able to put it. It was so tall that it would not stand up on its own, the first try it fell over to the ground on top of my son! We hoisted it back up, and one of my sons had the idea of tying it to the banner. We got out fishing string and tied it to the banner. If finally was standing, but it was not straight and looked awful. I thought to my self that this just won't do. My kids told me that it was good enough. Sometimes we worry about things that are not that important during Christmas. There are things that are just good enough, and things that are really important. During Christmas, what is important is not a straight beautiful Christmas tree, but a knowing that a boy was born, a Savior, that came into this life and died and suffered that we may all live."

My boss then bore his testimony of the Savior. I was deeply touched by his story and his testimony. Last night during our family night, we went out for burgers and fries. On the way home I was telling my wife and kids this story. When I got to the part of not worrying about little things and remembering the Savior, the Spirit touched me again, and I started to get choked up. My wife, said, "Are you crying?" I was, she thought it was funny, not that she didn't take me serious, but she knows I am an emotional person. "Daddy's crying, girls." She pokes fun of me sometimes because I'm emotional. My girls got a good laugh at it, but it was not in a bad way. I bore my testimony of the Savior, and the true meaning of Christmas.

I hope we all remember, especially this time of year, that there is a reason why we celebrate this Christmas. It is not the tree, decorations, presents, etc...., but, it is to remember that there was a baby that came to the earth, a Savior, that lived and died and now lives again, so that we may become like Him, and return to the presence of our Heavenly Father.

No comments: